Wednesday 6 November 2013

Being an Uncle has its advantages. The greatest experiences I have had as an Uncle were when my nieces and nephews were still in diapers I could hand them right back to my brother when it was time for a change. The flip side is that not spending as much direct time with them leaves me a little out of the loop when it comes to gift giving time. I always want to get them something special but not necessarily off of the list they gave their parents. For my nephews this was easy. I was once a boy; I know what kind of things boys like. My niece was tougher. I remember when she was turning twelve and I was really stuck for an idea. That’s when my sister-in-law told me that they were going to let her start wearing jewelry. Something clicked and I knew that I could buy her bracelets and be set for life.

Bracelets are the type of jewelry that makes sense to have in a collection of because you can wear more than one at a time and mix and match different styles. If you try that with anything else it can come off as tacky and over the top, but for whatever reason multiple pieces of jewelry on your wrist looks perfectly fine. I started that particular birthday by choosing from a selection of fashion bracelets, fun looking pieces that that still had a playful element (she was after all only twelve). With each birthday and Christmas I would get her another one, different styles for her different moods. Finally, when she turned eighteen, I didn’t buy her anything. I instead took her to store, showed her a collection of diamond bracelets and told her to pick her favorite. I’m pretty sure that day she voted me greatest Uncle ever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment